nanog mailing list archives

Re: IXP - PNI

From: Paul Vixie <vixie () isc org>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 21:56:40 +0000

The construct also doesn't scale well for multicast traffic exchange if
there's a significant number of multicast peers even though the traffic
might be low for individual source ASNs.  On the other hand, if the IXP
doesn't use IGMP/MLD snooping capable switches, then I suppose it doesn't
matter.

the people who do massive volumes of multicast in my experience have also
been the ones whose network policies, or unicast traffic volumes, or both,
prevented them from joining CSMA peering fabrics.  CSMA assumes a large
number of small flows, which is not what i see in the multicast market, but
i admit that i'm not as involved as i used to be.