nanog mailing list archives

Re: Important New Requirement for IPv4 Requests

From: Jo Rhett <jrhett () netconsonance com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 17:02:59 -0700

On Apr 21, 2009, at 4:55 PM, Jon Lewis wrote:
Some "customers" have wised up and when providing IP justification, they don't mention SEO anymore. However, I've seen several requests in the past couple weeks from customers/prospective customers wanting /24's or larger subnets (or they're not buying/canceling service) where the justification provided was something ARIN would probably be ok with, but IMO was completely FoS. It's hard to tell sales "no" when the customer tells you exactly what they think you want to hear [for IP justification], but your gut tells you "this is BS".

Then you have an obligation to investigate.  It's in the NRPM ;-)

For our part, it becomes really easy. When someone submits a request for 200 physical hosts and their profile says they are paying for 40 amps of power... yeah, it's easy to know they are lying ;-)

It is a problem because some ISPs don't care and just give away IPs, so customers get annoyed with us when I ask for proper justification. Oh well ;-)

--
Jo Rhett