nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv4 Anycast?

From: Kevin Loch <kloch () kl net>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 17:23:23 -0400

Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
On Apr 22, 2009, at 4:35 PM, Jack Bates wrote:
Zhenkai Zhu wrote:
I just want to make sure if I understand correctly. You mean that the anycasted address space can be announced in different places yet with the same origin AS?

Yes, and it is commonly done.

I was under the impression anycast services with homogeneous origin AS was far more common than the heterogeneous. Almost all the instances I know of use homogeneous origin AS.

I'd be interested in statistics either way.

192.88.99.0/24, 2002::/16, and 2001::/32 are some
notable examples of heterogeneous origin AS.

- Kevin