nanog mailing list archives

Re: DOS in progress ?

From: Marshall Eubanks <tme () americafree tv>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 00:06:16 -0400

On Aug 6, 2009, at 10:26 PM, Bill Woodcock wrote:

     On Thu, 6 Aug 2009, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/07/technology/internet/07twitter.html

Mr. Woodcock said this
particular attack consisted of a wave of spam e-mail messages, which began
infiltrating Twitter

Uh... Yes, well, the gist of my explanation of how joe-jobs work may have eluded the reporter, but the point I was trying to get across was that I
was aware of a joe-job, but not aware of a botnet.

Pity he just couldn't have used the phrase. It would have cleared it up some for me at least.

While I certainly trust PCH, I would be curious as to the evidence for
this.

Google "cyxymu" and you should begin to see copies of the joe-job spam, as well as the earlier and archived postings this guy has made in the past.

These URLs may be of interest, if you're really curious about the politics
behind the attack:

http://www.alertnet.org/db/blogs/29542/b5f1ff2ebdb92dabafda4b44e960db4c.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abkhazia

Note that this is a deeply-layered conflict, with both sides trying to
pass off actions as those of the other, and I don't know of anyone who's
asserted that they have any means of determining whether this was a
Georgian attack on an Abkhazian blogger, or a Russian or Abkhazian
faux-martyring of an Abkhazian blogger that few people cared about
yesterday, but who will have his seven minutes of fame in tomorrow's
press.

Given that the start of major hostilities there was 1 year ago today (the Georgian bombing and attack on Tskhinvali) and the war continued for 6 more days (until August 12th) I would not be surprised if there was more mischief in store. Let's hope this doesn't become a tradition.

Thank you for the information.

Regards
Marshall

I don't have an opinion on the matter, and I don't think many in our
community will probably take any interest in the underlying politics.
What matters is that smart people in our community at Google and SixApart
and Twitter communicated and coordinated quickly and effectively, and
established a lot of connections that will serve them well in responding to things of this sort again in the future. INOC-DBA and NSP-Sec and the Anti-Spam list all got a workout today, and they all functioned exactly as
they were intended to.

                               -Bill