nanog mailing list archives

Re: sat-3 cut?

From: William Allen Simpson <william.allen.simpson () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2009 22:09:49 -0400

Nick Hilliard wrote:
On 08/08/2009 18:09, William Allen Simpson wrote:
Not in a long time. My memory is that SAT-3 was supposed to be a nice
cooperative effort funded by the nations themselves, rather than an
outside investor. With cooperation, I'd have expected good peering.

Indeed, it is a co-operative affair owned by several of the incumbent telcos along the route, and one suspects that they engage in all of the sort of benevolent, community-focussed behaviour that you'd expect from incumbents.

Oh, neither of us are talking about benevolence.  If you and I have a
joint venture, then I'd expect we'd have no problem with interconnection.

On a more serious note, and peering / interconnection arrangements aside, the cable fault indicates a critical lack of resilience on the west coast of africa.

True.  Does NANOG have an outreach and construction program?  If not, it's
probably not on-topic....