nanog mailing list archives

Re: bits/hz/second: we're barely more efficient than the telegraph

From: Jay Hennigan <jay () west net>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 16:31:23 -0700

Anton Kapela wrote:

For the experts out there: how long are we going to wait for something
more efficient than morse code over twisted pairs?

For text messages, Morse code can be more efficient than modern encoding techniques. Morse is a variable-length code weighted to favor the more common symbols in plain text messages. The letter "e" is a single bit. In terms of message throughput/hz/second/, Morse is actually pretty decent.

--
Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay () impulse net