nanog mailing list archives

Re: FCCs RFC for the Definition of Broadband

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 10:34:43 -0500

Peter Beckman wrote:
 I like that idea, except for the problem that I don't want my neighbors to
 have access to the colo, or at least my feed, but I want access to my feed
 to I can reboot whatever device is connected there.  There would have to
 be individual locked cages of some standard size so I could access and
 reboot or change my router out, but could not disconnect or modify my
 neighbors connection.

And then there's the matter of who's paying for it. Even if initial cost is covered by the home owners in a new development project, there is maintenance costs associated with such a setup. If the ILEC is responsible, but doesn't subsidize costs by controlling all customers or billing out to the other ISPs, it creates an unfair disadvantage on the ILEC.

Jack