nanog mailing list archives

Re: Breaking the internet (hotels, guestnet style)

From: Seth Mattinen <sethm () rollernet us>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 13:04:29 -0800

Leo Bicknell wrote:

Most of the hotels I have used don't actually require authentication.
They require a click through indemnification agreement.  No username,
no password, no room number, just a "click here to accept our terms
and conditions".

I would much prefer this be added to the check-in process.  I already
have to sign a contract with the hotel to check in, it should cover use
of the WiFi as well.  Then there is no need for a click through
agreement.

Yes there is; if they have wireless then the radio waves don't
discriminate between guest and non-guest and could be picked up by
someone who didn't sign the check-in paperwork.

~Seth