nanog mailing list archives

Re: DNS question, null MX records

From: Joe Abley <jabley () hopcount ca>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 11:17:43 +0000

On 2009-12-15, at 15:45, Dave Sparro wrote:

On 12/15/2009 10:17 AM, Eric J Esslinger wrote:
I found a reference to a null MX proposal, constructed so:
example.com    IN    MX 0 .

Question: Is this a valid dns construct or did the proposal die? I don't want to cause people problems but at the
same time, I don't want any of this crap to even attempt to deliver on this domain to any of my servers.

Pulling from my often mangled memory:

This was proposed in a draft RFC that went nowhere.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-jabley-sink-arpa-01

One of the imagined purposes of this draft is to be able to write

example.com.    IN      MX      0       SINK.ARPA.

and be confident that SINK.ARPA does not exist.

Joe