nanog mailing list archives

Re: question regarding multi-homing

From: Seth Mattinen <sethm () rollernet us>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 09:29:11 -0800

Simon Chen wrote:
Hi all,

Happy new year...

I have a question regarding multi-homing, mostly from stub network's
operational point of view. My big question is: what kind of failures
do you usually see from your providers? Link down? Link up, but
withdraw some routes? Link up, no route change, but blackholing
partial or all traffic? Anything else?

I am a multihomed network with no downstream customers. Speaking only
for myself over the last 5 years I have only had loss of link conditions
as the majority problem such as:

* DLCI deleted (LEC "accidentally canceled" a FRT1 once)
* Loss of signal (almost always LEC problems)
* Loss of frame (almost always long haul problems)

It's worth noting all my circuits are T1, T3, or OC-x and less likely to
have an "up/up but not passing traffic" state like an Ethernet handoff
could do.

And only once:

* Sprint vs. Cogent peering spat (I'm a Sprint customer)

The last one would have been a huge problem for default route or single
homed users - and why I always recommend full tables - but for me I
didn't care since the affected paths disappeared via Sprint but were
still there via my other upstream.

To state this problem in detail: I use a static default route on Ra to
forward traffic to provider A, or receive 0/0 from provider A via BGP.
For some reason, provider A can no longer reach a /24. My network
cannot be notified (unless, I receive a full internet routing table).
In this case, all I know is that my traffic to /24 is blackholed
through provider A. In this case, is there an automatic way for my
stub network to switch over to provider B? Do I have to do the
detection and switch over manually? I don't think VRRP can help here,
right?

You're asking for what BGP does. You could ping every prefix you care
about and do it by hand, I guess. If this is a major concern for you I'd
say full tables are in your best interest so you can let BGP do what it
does best. (Disclaimer: there may be some trick I'm not aware of because
I always prefer to let BGP do its job.)

~Seth