nanog mailing list archives

Re: Consumer-grade dual-homed connectivity options?

From: Joel Jaeggli <joelja () bogus com>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 15:23:26 -0800

Brett Frankenberger wrote:
On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 11:13:24AM -0500, Steven Bellovin wrote:
I know nothing of how to do this on a Catalyst; for PCs, my own guess
is that you're looking far too high-end.  If the issue is relaying to
the outside, I suspect that a small, dedicated Soekris or the like
will do all you need -- there's no point in switching traffic faster
than your DSL lines can run.  I'm not doing load-balancing, but all
traffic from my house to the outside world (I have a cable modem)
goes through a Soekris 4801, and I can download large files from my
office at 12-13M bps.  Further, since the Soekris is bridging some
networks, its interfaces are in promiscuous mode, so the box is
seeing every packet on my home LAN.

Really?  If it's connected to a switch, I'd expect it to only see
broadcast/multicast/unknown destination MACs, as well as traffic
actually flowing through the Soekris.

I believe he's refering to the situation where the soekris is doing the
bridging, since the soekris only has 4 ethernet ports and two pci slots
max it's likely that if you need greater than quantity 3 plus wireless
internal interfaces that you'll need a switch. given the performance
limits of even a 5501 I tend to disagree that the switching traffic
internally in software bridge at less than line rate at 100Mb/s is a
great trade-off vs say using a cheapo gig-e switch.

     -- Brett