nanog mailing list archives

Re: Restrictions on Ethernet L2 circuits?

From: sthaug () nethelp no
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 19:55:42 +0100 (CET)

Or should the service provider implement port security and limit the
number of MAC addresses on the access ports, forcing the customer to
connect a router in both ends and segment their network?

That would make the service less attractive, and also more complex to
set up and maintain.  For point-to-point service, there is really no
reason for the network to care about customers' MAC addresses, VLAN tags
and such.

*If* the customer connects directly to a router which terminates
EoMPLS, I agree. But router ports are usually expensive, which
often means that the customer connects to a switch. And switches
definitely care about MAC addresses.

Couldn't PBB or even Q-in-Q provide that isolation as well, at least for
point-to-point services? I must say that I don't personally have much
experience with those, because we tend to connect our customers to
EoMPLS-capable routers directly.

QinQ does nothing to reduce the number of MAC addresses required.
PBB can do this, but there is still not a lot of  PBB equipment
available.

Also, do you see a demand for multi-point layer 2 networks (requiring
VPLS), or are point-to-point layer 2 circuits sufficient to meet
market demand?

That's a big question for us right now... we're not sure yet.  I'd like to
hear others' opinions on this.

There is some demand there. Whether that makes it worth it implementing
as a product is another question. Trouybleshooting multipoint is more
difficult than troubleshooting point to point circuits.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug () nethelp no