nanog mailing list archives

Re: v6 & DSL / Cable modems [was: Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space

From: Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews () isc org>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 14:16:10 +1100

In message <00df01c98b27$3181b7e0$948527a0$@com>, "TJ" writes:
 The SOX auditor ought to know better.  Any auditor that
 requires NAT is incompenent.

Sadly, there are many audit REQUIREMENTS explicitly naming NAT and
RFC1918 addressing ...

SOX auditors are incompetent. I've been asked about anti-virus software on
UNIX servers and then asked to prove that they run UNIX.........

Fair enough, but my point was that it isn't the auditors' faults in _all_
cases.
When the compliance explicitly requires something they are required to check
for it, they don't have the option of ignoring or waving requirements ...
and off the top of my head I don't recall if it is SOX that calls for
RFC1918 explicitly but I know there are some that do.

        Please cite references.

        I can find plenty of firewall required references but I'm
        yet to find a NAT and/or RFC 1918 required.

        Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews () isc org