nanog mailing list archives

Re: "IP networks will feel traffic pain in 2009" (C|Net & Cisco)

From: Nick Hilliard <nick () foobar org>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 21:37:47 +0000

On 21/01/2009 21:30, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
On Jan 21, 2009, at 11:07 AM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
Finding ways to force object revalidation by an intermediary cache (so
the end origin server knows something has been fetched) and thus
allowing the cache to serve the content on behalf of the content
origintor, under their full control, but without the bits being served.

Excellent idea. It is a shame content owners do not see the utility in
your idea.

This doesn't provide feed-back to the content distributors on partial downloads, etc - which is useful information to content providers, if you're into data mining end-user browsing habits. In the specific case of Youtube, of course I don't know that they do this, but I'd be surprised if they didn't.

Nick