nanog mailing list archives

Re: Fire, Power loss at Fisher Plaza in Seattle

From: Seth Mattinen <sethm () rollernet us>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2009 10:40:55 -0700

Tomas L. Byrnes wrote:
This begs the question of what basic parameters should be for a "carrier
hotel" or co-lo.

Given that we're getting designated "Critical Infrastructure", we'd
getter start coming up with some, or we'll have them defined for us.

The old NEBS standards were too much of a straightjacket, but the
current situation, where any buffoon who wants to can claim to be
something they aren't (redundant and reliable) undermines the business
of those who actually spend the money, and make the effort, to provide a
true "carrier grade" co-lo.

Absolutely. Then your pricing is so far out of whack with the apparent
competition that it's hard to get customers when it appears one can get
the same/better for far less. Me, personally, I just don't say things
like "100% uptime" or claim to be a carrier-grade facility. But I think
that scares people off when my competitors (and I've seen the insides of
some of the horrid trash heaps they call a NOC) claim they do.

This is life in the current Internet: Overpromise, and Underdeliver.

"Our flywheel systems are so failure-proof and thinking outside the box
that we don't need a silly battery UPS that can cold-start!"

I know outages and related discussion end up attracting the off-topic
hammer here on NANOG, but I do find them interesting and worthwhile.

~Seth