nanog mailing list archives

Re: Using CE Router for Internet and VPN services

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 07:56:13 -0500

Akhmedd Aly wrote:
Please describe all benefits and detriments of using more than /30
subnet on SP PE.
Some good links will be very useful for me.

Don't know all, but have you see the arp tables on a PE router? Have you seen some of the crazy things devices other than routers can do on ethernet? There are many advantages to CE routers. SP controlled CEs take it even further in managing demarcation, other services, and offloading of any service level restrictions to the CE.

Also, I believe on ethernet, some SPs do layer 2 level security and filtering which is made easier when only 1 MAC per CE.

Jack