nanog mailing list archives

Re: OT: Wireless Network Strength Dependent On Wired Network?

From: Marshall Eubanks <tme () americafree tv>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 16:11:02 -0400

On Jun 20, 2009, at 2:47 AM, Neil wrote:

Okay, a small, offtopic question. (I figured you guys were a far more
reliable source than my local ${electronics_store} salesperson...)

Consider the following setup:
internet pipe -> wired network -> (wireless router) wireless network ->
computer1, computer2

Suppose the signal coming in on the pipe is good, but the signal
deteriorates rapidly in wired network (old & bad wiring). Now, the two
computers are connected via the wireless network only. computer1 has a great connection (it's in the same room as the wireless router), but computer2 is
far away and drops the wireless connection frequently.

Now, a former electrical engineer is claiming that if we improve the wired network so that the signal comes across better, then computer2 won't drop the wireless connection so frequently. (He says that the signal emitted by the wireless router will be improved by feeding it a better source signal.)

If you are running a digital network, no. Digital doesn't work like that. The packets get through intact, or they are dropped. Dropping the wireless connection means that you are having trouble communicating between the wireless router and computer 2. Since computer 1 is close and works and computer 2 is far away, that strongly suggests that you have
a SNR problem. To fix that, you need either a stronger
access point (wireless router), another access point closer to computer 2, or a wireless repeater. Note that the AP also has to receive the signal from computer 2, and you probably can't boost computer 2's power, so you may
not be able to fix this by just boosting the access point's power.

There is a possibility that the problem is with computer 2. You might try swapping computer 1 and 2 to confirm that the problem is distance related, or (what I generally do) use a laptop as a test probe to confirm a good signal at computer 1, and a poor one at computer 2.

I argue that there are two separate signals: the internet connection signal coming in on the pipe, and then the wireless network signal being emitted from the wireless router; and their strengths are independent. In other
words, if we improve the wiring, the wireless signal will not get any
stronger.

In the spacecraft world, what the wireless router is doing is called regeneration. It is not just amplifying the wireline signal it receives, it receives it, decodes it, turns it into bits, and then puts those bits out as a radio encoding. Any noise in the signal received is irrelevant, as long as it is not enough to cause the entire packet to be dropped.

Regards
Marshall

So...basically, who's right? (Or are neither of us?) Any thoughts, comments,
corrections?