nanog mailing list archives

Re: Anyone using any Linux SSL proxies?

From: "Michael K. Smith" <mksmith () adhost com>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 11:04:38 -0700

Hello Mike:

On 3/14/09 9:56 PM, "Mike Lyon" <mike.lyon () gmail com> wrote:

Howdy,

I am wondering what folks are recommending/using these days for Linux SSL
proxies? I need to build a linux box that basically acts as an SSL offloader
would (like a BigIP / Cisco ACE / Netscaler would do). Listen on port 443,
decrypt the SSL and then forward the request onto the webserver on port 80.
DSR is not required.

Any suggestions?

Offlist replies would probably be more appropriate.

Thank You in advance.

Cheers,
Mike

We use Apache with mod_security and mod_proxy to do this, although the
application is more as an application layer firewall than an SSL offloader.
It works well for lower traffic applications; I haven't tested it under the
loads that are advertised by the hardware vendors you mentioned.

Regards,

Mike