nanog mailing list archives

Re: Where to buy Internet IP addresses

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 17:01:32 -0500

Ricky Beam wrote:
"64bit MAC" -- which pretty much exists nowhere. It's a repeat of the mistakes from IPv4's early days: CLASSFUL ROUTING.

Given there is no CLASS, but just a separation of network and host, I'd hate to compare it to classful routing. They probably would have been happy with a /96 network except for stateless autoconfig, which is quite nice for some stuff actually.

I'm with you. I wish vendors and spec designers would just get over it and let people subnet however they want. If I want to set a network to be /96 or /120, I should be allowed to do so. Yes, I know autoconfig will not work -- and I don't want it to. I can make /31 IPv4 routes -- no router I've ever used complained about it. (that sends 2 addresses to one place; what happens in the place is not the router's concern.)

I've not tried every vendor out there, but I've noticed some implementations handle /127 just fine from a routing perspective. I personally enjoy my /64 of /128 loopbacks. I'll be dead before I run out. :)

Jack