nanog mailing list archives

Re: 10-GigE for servers

From: Nathan Stratton <nathan () robotics net>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 13:59:23 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 1 May 2009, Jason Shoemaker wrote:

My company is looking for ways to improve throughput for data transfers
between individual servers.  We’re exploring the creation of Etherchannels
using multiple server NICs, but Etherchannel seems to have the limitation of
not supporting per-packet load-balancing, therefore limiting traffic between
two individual hosts to 1 Gig.

Have you thought about Infiniband? Dual 10 gig cards cost about $50 and 24 port switches about $1200 on ebay. Infiniband has just a fraction of the latency of ethernet (even 10 get eth). You get the lowest latency if your application supports Infiniband, but if not you can run IP over IB.

<>
Nathan Stratton                                CTO, BlinkMind, Inc.
nathan at robotics.net                         nathan at blinkmind.com
http://www.robotics.net                        http://www.blinkmind.com