nanog mailing list archives

Re: Slightly OT: Calculating HVAC requirements for server rooms

From: William Warren <hescominsoon () emmanuelcomputerconsulting com>
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 21:32:19 -0400

Mike Lyon wrote:
Hello All,

I am curious what formulas/equations folks use to figure out required
cooling for small datacenters in offices.

The variables I am using are the size of the room, the total amount of power
available for usage and the lightning.

Specifically, I am using the guide posted at:
http://www.openxtra.co.uk/articles/calculating-heat-load

Any other recommendations or suggestions from those folks that have done
this before?

Thank You in advance.

Cheers,
Mike

You also have to take into account the environment surrounding the data room. At my wife's work The ceiling above is only separated with a false ceiling to the metal roof above but the rest of hte spaces surrounding the room are climate controled. They ahd to significantly upsize to account for the heat load of that ceiling.