nanog mailing list archives

Re: two interfaces one subnet

From: Chris Meidinger <cmeidinger () sendmail com>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 23:23:11 +0200

On 11.05.2009, at 23:19, Alex H. Ryu wrote:

Unless you configure Layer 2 for two interfaces, it's not going to work.
It is invalid from networking principle.
If you have to send the traffic for host in same subnet you configured,
which interface it should send out ?
Basically it may create broadcast storm loop by putting two ip addresses
in same subnet in different interface.
It may be allowed from host-level, but from router equipment, I don't
think it was allowed at all.

Alex, I _personally_ know that it's a problem. I was hoping for an RFC- reference, or similar standards document, to show to customers to convince them to stop trying to hack things to make it work.

Chris