nanog mailing list archives

Re: Human Factors and Accident reduction/mitigation

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 17:08:29 -0800

On Nov 5, 2009, at 4:30 PM, Michael Peddemors wrote:

On November 5, 2009, Robert Boyle wrote:
It's
because someone circumvented the rules,
processes, and cross checks put in place to
prevent the problem in the first place. Nothing
can be made idiot proof because idiots are so creative.

-Robert
SEL/MEL Private Instrument

No, no commercial pilot every flew overweight, or in weather below minimums, or more that the max hours in a month.. never happens ;) And there was never a boss that 'pushed' them into it, for the sake of expediency or financial gain, and the phrase.. 'Big Sky, Little Plane' was nevered uttered.. logbooks
never fudged and rules are always followed..

C(om)255379

Of course, all of those things have happened. However, if we started treating networking errors more like the way we treat aviation errors, the reliability of networking would improve dramatically. OTOH, if we did that, the cost
of networking would also probably gain a zero.

Owen
Commercial ASEL
Instrument Airplane