nanog mailing list archives

Re: Congress may require ISPs to block fraud sites H.R.3817

From: Jeffrey Lyon <jeffrey.lyon () blacklotus net>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 20:16:16 -0500

Net neutrality suffers another blow. I liked Congress when they had no
idea what the internet was, now they've progressed to "still have no
idea but like to pretend."

Jeff

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 7:58 PM, Steven Bellovin <smb () cs columbia edu> wrote:

On Nov 5, 2009, at 7:44 PM, Richard Bennett wrote:

I think the idea is for the government to create an official blacklist of
the offending sites, and for ISPs to consult it before routing a packet to
the fraud site. The common implementation would be an ACL on the ISPs border
router. The Congress doesn't yet understand the distinction between ISPs and
transit providers, of course, and typically says that proposed ISP
regulations (including the net neutrality regulations) apply only to
consumer-facing service providers.

If this measure passes, you can expect expansion of blocking mandates for
rogue sites of other kinds, such as kiddie porn and DMCA scofflaws.

It's worth looking at hhttp://www.cdt.org/speech/pennwebblock/ -- a Federal
court struck down a law requiring web site blocking because of child
pornography.

--
Jeffrey Lyon, Leadership Team
jeffrey.lyon () blacklotus net | http://www.blacklotus.net

Platinum sponsor of HostingCon 2010. Come to Austin, TX on July 19 -
21 to find out how to "protect your booty."