nanog mailing list archives

Re: What DNS Is Not

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 14:54:01 -0500

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 12:25:49 CST, Dan White said:
That's a disagreement we'll have to have. Anytime this issue has been brought
up in a public setting (here, slashdot, etc.) has resulted in terrible press
and even corrective action. In particular, Network Solutions' attempt to
at this at the .com level was corrected.

There's two types of in-flight editing of data by a provider:

1) The kind I've requested that they do.

2) The kind they're doing without my knowledge or consent.

The first should be monetized, the second needs a really bright flashlight.

Why is this distinction so hard for people to comprehend?