nanog mailing list archives

Re: Dutch ISPs to collaborate and take responsibility for botted clients

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 16:03:44 -0400

On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 2:55 PM, Peter Beckman <beckman () angryox com> wrote:

 service being cut off.  However it is ignorance and lack of maintenance
 that makes viruses and botnets so prevelant that it may just be time to
 bite the bullet and force users to learn how to maintain their machines.

because this works so well with:

1) cars
2) home-security
3) personal security wandering around cities/towns

I note that I'm not particularly against any of the proposal, just the
'people need a drivers license to get on the interwebz'... it's been
tried many times before, always without success.

I would also point out that Qwest does this walled-garden approach for
their customers (have been for at least 5 years now? DonS@qwest could
clarify) and they've seen success with it. Aliant in .ca also has some
fairly aggressive anti-malware works installed.  There are places
where this sort of thing works well, planned and engineered properly.
I think Qwest, at least, made some of their reasoning and design/goals
publicly available for a time as well.

-Chris