nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Deployment for the LAN

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 20:55:21 -0700

On Oct 22, 2009, at 4:27 PM, Joe Maimon wrote:

Ray Soucy wrote:

Others may have their specific requests from vendors, but here are mine: 1. Include DHCPv6 client functionality as part of any IPv6 implementation.
2. Support RA-gaurd and DHCPv6 snooping in L2 network infrastructure.

I can agree with that.

I would also add that there is plenty of work that can be done to DHCP, such as adding full route support, multiple gateways with preference and even transitioning from a binary only protocol.

A lot of the frustration seems to come from Windows ICS acting as an
IPv6 router. I think everyone here has been after Microsoft to either
remove ICS or make it more difficult to enable at one point or
another.  While a rogue RA can come from anywhere, Windows is usually
the guilty party.  I would argue that since NAT is not a component of
IPv6,

NAT wasnt a component of IPv4 until it was already had widespread adoption. I remain completely unconvinced that people will not continue to perceive value in PAT6 between their private and their public subnets.

People may perceive value, but, I truly hope that they won't be able to obtain the "functionality". It's just a very bad idea that does terrible things to the network. NAT/PAT was a necessary evil in IPv4 to extend the lifetime of the addressing until IPv6 could be almost ready. It should be allowed to die with IPv4.

And of course, different forms of NAT are almost certainly required to try to make ipv4 and ipv6 interoperate for as long as people need it to.

Sort of, but, yeah.  That's OK.  Unfortunate, but, OK.

I actually think that now that we have a transfer market policy, IPv4 will probably die much faster than it would have otherwise.

Owen