nanog mailing list archives

Re: Dedicated Route Reflectors

Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 02:17:20 +0300

Hi there

The RR vs Full Mesh depends on what how you would like to balance your
exit/peering points across the network. If you have, say, 3 border
routers in 3 different regions, you should need at least 3 RRs if you
want each region having it's own preference for the external routes. I
would advise Full Mesh if the equipments can manage the number of iBGP
sessions and update-groups are quite fast this days, also the management
overhead is not much of an issue as "advertised".

About keeping the P routers as RR, I think that is will load the FIB
with useless external routes, and keeping them in a VRF is not quite OK,
depending on the used platform.

Pavel.

Serge Vautour wrote:
Hello,

We're in the process of planning for an MPLS network that will use BGP for signaling between PEs. This will be a BGP
free Core (i.e. no BGP on the P routers). What are folks doing for iBGP in this case? Full Mesh? Full Mesh the Main
POP PEs and Route Reflect to some outlining PEs? Are folks using dedicated/centralized Route Reflectors (redundant of
course)? What about using some of the P routers as the Centralized Route Reflectors? The boxes aren't doing much from
a Control Plane perspective, why not use them as Route Reflectors.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Serge

http://www.flickr.com/gift/