nanog mailing list archives

Re: Tracking down reverse for ip

From: Scott Howard <scott () doc net au>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 22:28:04 -0700

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 10:52 PM, James Hess <mysidia () gmail com> wrote:

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 3:59 PM, William Pitcock
<nenolod () systeminplace net> wrote:
For someone who is a CCNA, Mikrotik Certified Whatever, etc, etc, etc,
you really should know how to use dig(1).

Certifications usually only suggest certain skills or knowledge they
were designed to validate,  and sometimes might fail even at that;
dig(1) or detailed DNS knowledge  is not scoped within either of those
certs, as far as I know..

Whilst that's almost certainly right, I had a lot of trouble finding a
google search that _didn't_ return something relevant as it's first hit
(such as ARIN's whois, or one of several guides on how to use dig/etc for
reverse DNS).

Of course, they don't teach google in any certification I've come across
either, but...

  Scott