nanog mailing list archives

Re: Did your BGP crash today?

From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 09:12:53 +0000

On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 09:22:34AM +0100, Thomas Mangin wrote:
On 28 Aug 2010, at 08:56, Randy Bush wrote:

imiho, researchers injecting data into the control plane are responsible
to have tested it at least against major bgp speakers.  and, considering
its placement in the net (big core), i consider ios xr to be a major
speaker.

i suspect that these folk will test better next time.  i sure hope so.

Not sure the researcher can afford to buy a ios xr and may not have access to one !

Thomas

        while this is undoubtedly true for hobbiest researchers, there are
        pretty good relationships between vendors and some research facilities
        with a strong interst in ensuring there is external review of the
        code base(es).

        (I am personally aware of at least five such facilities...:)

        hence I am going to have to echo Randys sentiments.  This was just
        sloppy.

--bill