nanog mailing list archives

Re: Some truth about Comcast - WikiLeaks style

From: Chris Adams <cmadams () hiwaay net>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 14:19:09 -0600

Once upon a time, Leo Bicknell <bicknell () ufp org> said:
And yet, I don't know of any location in the US with two cable
operators.

Huntsville, AL has Comcast and Knology (originally CableAlabama) cable
available at virtually every address (except for some apartment
complexes, which tend to only be wired for one cable plant and negotiate
a deal with one company or the other).  I believe some of the
surrounding areas have overlap between Knology and Mediacom.

A number of years ago (15 or so?), CableAlabama wanted to sell out to
Comcast, and the city refused to allow it under the franchise agreement.
CA sued and eventually won a settlement, but didn't end up merging (and
became or was bought out by Knology).  IIRC the settlement was 50% off
of the franchise fee for 20 years or so.

For a long time, we had the lowest cable prices in the country because
of the competition, but I don't think that's the case anymore (Comcast,
being the big corporate entity, doesn't care about competition with
Knology, and Knology just raises their prices to keep up).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams () hiwaay net>