nanog mailing list archives

Re: The scale of streaming video on the Internet.

From: david raistrick <drais () icantclick org>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 16:23:42 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 2 Dec 2010, Jack Bates wrote:

Watch the game live multicast. Missed the game? Watch it on demand. As things progress, we'll probably see more edge content delivery systems (like Akamai)

Have you ever actually been involved with really large scale multicast implementations? I take it that's a no.

The -only- way that would work internet wide, and it defeats the purpose, is if your client side created a tunnel back to your multicast source network. Which would mean you're carrying your multicast data over anycast.

If you, the multicast broadcaster, dont have extensive control of the -entire- end to end IP network, it will be significantly broken significant amounts of the time.

...david (former member of a team of engineers who built and maintained a 220,000 seat multicast video network)

--
david raistrick        http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
drais () icantclick org             http://www.expita.com/nomime.html