nanog mailing list archives

Re: .gov DNSSEC operational message

From: "Kevin Oberman" <oberman () es net>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 20:07:22 -0800

Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 22:34:20 -0500 (EST)
From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>

---- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Oberman" <oberman () es net>

There is no reason that you could not do OOB transfers of keys, but it
would be so cumbersome with the need to maintain keys for every TLD
(and, for that matter, every zone under them) and deal with key rolls
at random intervals and confirm that the new keys you were getting were,
in fact legitimate would be more than overwhelming. It just does not
scale.

I apologize; I was not clear.

I was not suggesting OOB *production transfer of keying information*.

I was rather suggesting that an additional publication of the keys, in
an authenticatable manner, which could be used by anyone who believed
that Something Hincky might be going on to confirm or deny, might be
useful.

Ahh. I did miss your point and I suspect others (other than Bill) might
have, as well.

Yes, having a verifiable source of keys OOB might have a small bit of
value, but, assuming we get general adoption of RFC 5011, I think it's
pretty limited value. Of course, this begs the question, how do we do a
better job of verifying the keys received out of band than the root zone
does of verifying the keys? Sort of a chicken and egg problem.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)