nanog mailing list archives

Re: Over a decade of DDOS--any progress yet?

From: Thomas Mangin <thomas.mangin () exa-networks co uk>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 17:51:31 +0000

On 8 Dec 2010, at 15:40, Dobbins, Roland wrote:

On Dec 8, 2010, at 10:36 PM, Thomas Mangin wrote:

If you are a smaller network, you need the filtering to be performed by your transit provider, as your uplink will
otherwise be congested.

Actually, most DDoS attacks aren't link-flooding attacks - this hasn't been true for the last ~7 years or so.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, because it does, and sometimes quite spectacularly - but in most cases, the
attackers don't have to flood the link to achieve their desired goal.

Fair point. I never had to face any intelligent type of DDOS ... lucky me :)

Thomas