nanog mailing list archives

RE: Some truth about Comcast - WikiLeaks style

From: "George Bonser" <gbonser () seven com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 23:16:55 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: Rettke, Brian
Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 10:50 PM
To: George Bonser; JC Dill; NANOG list
Subject: RE: Some truth about Comcast - WikiLeaks style

Interesting point. I'd also like to point out that putting the cost on
the content providers rather than the network may raise the cost of
the
content service, but only to those that want that service. In effect,
if the transport provider is paying for the bandwidth generated by a
content provider, in effect we have another service bundled to all
services offered, which increases the cost to people using Internet
service but not necessarily accessing that content. Kind of the same
reason TV channels aren't a la carte.

Sincerely,

Brian A . Rettke
RHCT, CCDP, CCNP, CCIP
Network Engineer, CableONE Internet Services

There is also another issue.  If the content provider (say it is Netflix
in this case) is charged extra to reach Comcast's customers, Netflix
might raise prices.  Now *all* Netflix users no matter what their ISP
are, in effect, subsidizing Comcast users.  In that case Comcast is
"taxing" every other ISPs customers that use that service in addition to
their own.  It is just a bad idea.

It is like an apartment complex that also has its own pizza joint
charging Dominoes for access to their tenants because the parking lot is
full.