nanog mailing list archives

Re: 192.255.103.x

From: Matthew Palmer <mpalmer () hezmatt org>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 14:49:18 +1100

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 07:27:38PM -0800, Hector Herrera wrote:
On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 6:08 PM, Matthew Palmer <mpalmer () hezmatt org> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 05:30:11PM -0800, Hector Herrera wrote:
I'm trying to diagnose an issue with 192.255.103.x

As far as I can tell from IANA, the block 192/8 is allocated to ARIN.
ARIN does not have a record of 192.255.103 being allocated to anybody.

Here is the issue ... the customer insists that is the correct IP and
for a few hours yesterday, it was actually working. ?Their satellite
phone can reach it, but we can't see it advertised today from any
networks.

Smells to me like their satphone provider could be doing something dodgy.
More info would be handy: what your customer's relationship to that IP block
is, and what they think should be available at that IP block.

According to the customer the IP is at their home network.  They are
in town for a certain large event *cough*fiverings*cough* and they
keep insisting (and their home IT department indicates the IP is
valid).

The customer is now claiming this IP is part of a "hidden" and
"secret" block of IPs ... How can you have hidden IPs?

Pfft, that's just code for "we picked a block at random".  See also: 1/8.

I think I'm just going to chalk this one up to a made up IP block that
is probably statically routed by their satphone provider.

Indeed.

- Matt