nanog mailing list archives

Re: Spamhaus...

From: Larry Sheldon <LarrySheldon () cox net>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 13:10:23 -0600

On 2/21/2010 12:32 PM, Jon Lewis wrote:
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010, Michelle Sullivan wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, MAPS was the first to do it.  Uribl.com
currently does it (and does the sort of query aggregation across your
entire? network) that I mentioned.

Can you access MAPS without a subscription at all?

At this point, I have no idea.  Originally, yes.  Even after they "went
commercial", IIRC, they were still going to provide free access for
"hobbyists" but not for business users.  The quality and coverage of their
service compared to others that were available became such that I stopped
using it and didn't miss it.

I also have no current information (except personal surprise that they
were still around), but I got into anti-spam groups and lists, and
learning "sendmail" when our mail started failing left and right.

Long story short somebody (HP, our vendor? the previous secretive
"admin"? I never did figure out who) had configured all of our sendmail
instances to use MAPS, and MAPS had shut off the service--no warning
that I know of, no alternative that I know of.  I do recall that when we
started developing our own tools (in the pre-Postini days) our catch
rate went up and our FP rate plummeted.

--
"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to
take everything you have."

Remember:  The Ark was built by amateurs, the Titanic by professionals.

Requiescas in pace o email
Ex turpi causa non oritur actio
Eppure si rinfresca

ICBM Targeting Information:  http://tinyurl.com/4sqczs