nanog mailing list archives

Re: Email Portability Approved by Knesset Committee

From: Steven Bellovin <smb () cs columbia edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 13:51:32 -0500

On Feb 22, 2010, at 1:42 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:

* Steven Bellovin:

Bring back the MB or MR DNS records?  (Only half a smiley.)

Eh, you don't want to put this information into a public database.
Officially, for privacy reasons.  Unofficially, to create a barrier to
market entry.

Right; I was not seriously suggesting that the DNS was the right spot for it.  I am seriously suggesting that a
redirect mechanism -- perhaps the email equivalent of HTPP's 301/302 -- would be worth considering.  Then, of course,
there's problem of upgrading the $\aleph_0$ mail senders out there to comply...