nanog mailing list archives

A question for the house and the moderators (was Re: Vyatta as a BRAS)

From: Larry Sheldon <LarrySheldon () cox net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 11:43:01 -0500

On 7/15/2010 11:39, Dobbins, Roland wrote:

On Jul 15, 2010, at 11:33 PM, Joe Greco wrote:

Provided with a counterexample where this isn't true, you simply ignore it.

I've yet to see a counterexample involving a software-based edge router in a realistic testbed environment being
deliberately packeted in order to cause an availability hit - apologies if I've missed one, mind.

Your arguments revolve around "My Ford Pinto's gas tank once exploded on me and it happened to other people too,
therefore all inexpensive cars have unsafe gas tanks."

Actually, it's more along the lines of, "I've seen multiple accidents involving multiple brands/models of
economy-class automobiles in which the passengers were grievously-injured or worse, while also having observed
passengers walking away from similar accidents in similar circumstances involving heavier, more sturdily-built
vehicles."

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () arbor net> // <http://www.arbornetworks.com>

    Injustice is relatively easy to bear; what stings is justice.

                        -- H.L. Mencken

--
Somebody should have said:
A democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting
the vote.

Requiescas in pace o email
Ex turpi causa non oritur actio
Eppure si rinfresca