nanog mailing list archives

Re: Addressing plan exercise for our IPv6 course

From: sthaug () nethelp no
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 17:53:33 +0200 (CEST)

It is not about how many devices, it is about how many subnets, because you
may want to keep them isolated, for many reasons.

It is not just about devices consuming lots of bandwidth, it is also about
many small sensors, actuators and so.

I have no problems with giving the customer several subnets. /56 is
just fine for that. I haven't seen any kind of realistic scenarios
which require /48 for residential users *and* will actually use lots
and lots of subnets - without requiring a similar amount of manual
configuration on the part of the customer.

So we end up with /56 for residential users.

And I'm not saying to forget about what we have learn with DHCP, in
fact DHCPv6 has many new and good features, but for many reasons,
autonconfiguration is good enough, and much more simple.

For our scenarios DHCPv6 is needed, autoconfiguration is *not* good
enough. It seems quite likely that in many cases the CPE will use the
/56 it gets from us (via DHCPv6 PD) as basis for autoconfiguration on
the LAN side - and that's just fine and dandy.

[I see no point in repeating the arguments for why autoconfiguration
is not good enough - this has been beaten to death, repeatedly, on
lots of IPv6 lists.]

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug () nethelp no