nanog mailing list archives

Re: Nato warns of strike against cyber attackers

From: JC Dill <jcdill.lists () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 11:35:46 -0700

Larry Sheldon wrote:
On 6/9/2010 01:11, JC Dill wrote:
Owen DeLong wrote:
Heck, at this point, I'd be OK with it being a regulatory issue.
What entity do you see as having any possibility of effective regulatory control over the internet?

Doesn't matter as long as it enables radial outbound finger pointing.

It does matter because THERE IS NO SUCH ENTITY.
The reason we have these problems to begin with is because there is no way for people (or government regulators) in the US to control ISPs in eastern Europe etc.

Or in the US.
But what we see here is what is what is wrong with "regulation"--the
regulated specify the regulation, primarily to protect the economic
interests of the entrenched.

IMHO it is impossible to regulate the internet as a whole. It is built out of too many different unregulated fragments (IP registries, domain registries, ASs, Tier 1 networks, smaller networks, etc.) and there will never be enough willingness for the unregulated entities to voluntarily become regulated - if some of them agree to become regulated then others will tout their unregulated (and cheaper) services. IMHO it would require a massive effort of great firewalls (such as China has in place) to *begin* to force regulation on the internet as a whole.

jc