nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGP Multihoming Partial vs. Full Routes

From: Fred Baker <fred () cisco com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 12:08:08 -0700

On Jun 14, 2010, at 11:30 AM, James Smallacombe wrote:

Cisco's position these days seems to be "you don't need to carry full views unless you like tinkering with optimizig
paths and such."

Not sure why Cisco's position is relevant, but let me restate it.

Cisco will happily sell you all the memory you care to pay for. That said, for an edge network with a competent
upstream, full routes are generally not as useful as one might expect. You're at least as well off with default routes
for your upstreams plus what we call "Optimized Edge Routing", which allows you to identify (dynamically, for each
prefix/peer you care about) which of your various ISPs gives you a route that *you* would prefer in terms of
reachability and RTT. In the words of a prominent hardware store in my region, "you can do it, we can help".