nanog mailing list archives

Re: Nato warns of strike against cyber attackers

From: "J. Oquendo" <sil () infiltrated net>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 16:44:35 -0400

Brielle Bruns wrote:
Problem is, there's no financial penalties for providers who ignore
abuse coming from their network.

DNSbl lists work only because after a while, providers can't ignore
their customer complaints and exodus when they dig deep into the
bottom line.

We've got several large scale IP blocks in place in the AHBL due to
this exact problem - providers know there's abuse going on, they won't
terminate the customers or deal with it, because they are more then
happy to take money.

Legit customers get caught in the cross-fire, and they suffer - but at
the same time, those legit customers are the only ones that will be
able to force a change on said provider.

They contact us, and act all innocent, and tell people we're being
unreasonable, neglecting to tell people at the same time that the
'unreasonable' DNSbl maintainer only wants for them to do a simple
task that thousands of other providers and administrators have done
before.

I know it's akin to Apples and Oranges but maybe a "network forfeiture"
(http://www.lectlaw.com/def/f054.htm) clause be drafted. Surely there
should be no outcry for stating: "If your network is dirty, its gone
including all your equipment" I wonder how fast some network operators
would have their networks. Again, re-visiting re-hashed threads:
http://www.mail-archive.com/nanog () merit edu/msg50472.html
(http://www.mail-archive.com/nanog () merit edu/msg50472.html) Surely a
vast majority have to be tired of the garbage coming from your own
networks and others. I can tell you I'm tired of my phone ringing
because some tollfraudster keeps thinking he's making uber calls when
he's stuck in one of my honeypots.

--

J. Oquendo

"It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to
ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things
differently." - Warren Buffett

227C 5D35 7DCB 0893 95AA  4771 1DCE 1FD1 5CCD 6B5E
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x5CCD6B5E