nanog mailing list archives

Re: RIPE NCC Position On The ITU IPv6 Group

From: Andy Davidson <andy () nosignal org>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 14:07:41 +0000

On 01/03/2010 14:04, Arjan van der Oest wrote:
Andy wrote:
Competition is not a bad thing.
Competition would be if I could approach the NCC or Pepsi Cola for my
integers for use on the internet.  It is not competition if the
government makes me ask them for some integers.
Assuming that ITU would become a nationwide alternative RIR, you still
have the choice to approach NCC, wouldn't you?

Why would this automatically be the case ?  If governments were required
to distribute addresses via the national regulator, then the freedom of
choice would NOT be the case.

Not sure if Pepsi would be the right comparison for the ITU ;-)

My point entirely. :-)

Andy