nanog mailing list archives

Re: "Is TDM going the way of dial-up?"

From: "Justin M. Streiner" <streiner () cluebyfour org>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 14:41:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 11:35:37 EDT, "Justin M. Streiner" said:

I don't see TDM going away entirely any time soon because it still comes
in handy for things like out-of-band management, etc, plus nowadays there
is lots of TDM gear on the secondary market that can be picked up
dirt-cheap.

All the same, the price of gear dropping through the floor on the secondary
market is usually a pretty good indication that the technology is played out,
because supply-and-demand says that demand for the gear will keep the price
propped up until the demand goes away - which usually means the tech is
played out.

I don't know too many people who build their out-of-band management networks out of the latest and greatest gear. There are tons of Cisco 2511s, 2611s, etc that have been given second lives as terminal servers.

There are also lots of areas where Ethernet transports are either ridiculously expensive because the carrier wants me to partially subsidize their initial build costs, or it's just flat-out not available. There are also areas where I've seen it delivered over n x STS-1's bonded together, so the Ethernet frames are still riding over a SONET transport in many cases.

jms