nanog mailing list archives

Re: OBESEUS - A new type of DDOS protector

From: Nathan Ward <nanog () daork net>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 17:01:38 +1300

If only there were other security experts on this list with a proven ability to make this thread even more absurd.

On 16/03/2010, at 4:47 PM, Guillaume FORTAINE wrote:

Misters,

Thank you for your reply.

1) First of all, I am absolutely not related to the Obeseus project. From my point of view,  the interesting things
were that :

a) This project was unknown.

http://www.google.com/search?q="obeseus"+"ddos"&btnG=Search&hl=en&esrch=FT1&sa=2

b) This project comes from an ISP.

http://www.loud-fat-bloke.co.uk/links.html

c) Its code is Open Source.

http://www.loud-fat-bloke.co.uk/tools/obeseusvB.tar.gz

My conclusion is that I give far more credit to Obeseus than to Arbor Networks. By the way, I am surprised that this
post didn't generate more interest given the uninteresting babble that I have been forced to read in the past on the
NANOG mailing-list from the so-called "experts".

2) EDoS is a "DDoS 2.0"

DDoS is about malicious traffic.

EDoS is malicious traffic engineered to look like legitimate one.

However, the goal is the same : "to obliterate the service infrastructure", to quote Mister Morrow.

3) I do my homeworks something that doesn't seem to be the case for a lot of people on this mailing-list.

a) I would want to highlight the post of Tom Sands, Chief Network Engineer, Rackspace Hosting entitled "DDoS
mitigation recommendations" [1].

-It seems evidence that he tried the Arbor solution so the three "Arbor++" mails don't make sense.

-About the fourth one :

"Sorry but RTFM

http://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2010-January/thread.html#16675

Best regards"

Hey kid, Tom Sands subscribed nearly a decade ago on the NANOG mailing-list. When you went out of school, he was
already dealing with DoS concerns :

http://www.mcabee.org/lists/nanog/Jan-02/msg00177.html

b) I am really asking myself how much credit I could give to a spam expert, Suresh Ramasubramanian, about a DDoS
related post [2].

c) Mister Morrow, even if you are a Network Security engineer at Google [3] (morrowc () google com) :

-You didn't provide any useful feedback on Obeseus.

-You totally missed the point on my other mails.

This is definitely disappointing.

Is this mailing-list a joke ?

Especially, where is Roland Dobbins ?

Best Regards,