nanog mailing list archives

Re: Experiences with A10 AX series Load Balancers?

From: ck <ck () sandcastl es>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 20:06:39 -0700

the a10s actually do pretty good at relatively high load levels as well, and
they do have an asic(multiple), fyi..

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 3:33 PM, Justin Horstman
<jhorstman () adknowledge com>wrote:

The boxes do alright at low load levels. They do not have an asic tech like
the F5s so choke on large amounts of traffic. Management is a bit immature
and you will find yourself having to use the CLI and the Gui to accomplish
most advanced tasks.

When we put them head to head A10 AX3200 vs F5 6400 ltm (note: 6400 was
what we were looking to replace)

Test:
1000 concurrent users from Gomez's Networks Loadtesting platform hitting as
fast as the requests would close, going through our standard vip config on
the f5, and the A10 engineering teams 3 best efforts  to beat that config
that balanced between two Identical Dell 1950 servers serving  a php page
that responded with a random number (to avoid caching). The 6400 we used was
in production at the time, and was older so we were expecting to get blown
away, see the results here:

F5 - Peaked 160k completed transactions a minute sustained for 10 minutes,
0 errors, 112ms average transaction response time
A10 - Held 60k completed transactions a minute sustained for 10 minutes, 0
errors, 360ms average transaction response time

If anyone is interested in the graphs I think I can still pull them out of
gomez. Though notable that this was all done a year ago, so things might be
different now.

~J