nanog mailing list archives

Re: ipv6 transit over tunneled connection

From: Merike Kaeo <kaeo () merike com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 15:21:45 -0700

On May 14, 2010, at 1:36 PM, Jared Mauch wrote:

On May 14, 2010, at 3:43 PM, Brielle Bruns wrote:

(Sent from my Blackberry, please avoid the flames as I can't do inline quoting)

Native IPv6 is a crapshoot. About the only people in the US that I've seen that are no-bullshit IPv6 native ready is Hurricane Electric. NTT is supposedly as well but I can't speak as to where they have connectivity.

I can say that we (NTT) have been IPv6 enabled or ready at all customer ports since ~2003. Anyone else who has not gotten there in the intervening years may have problems supporting you for your IPv4 as well :)

I had native eBGP with NTT in Dec 2005......this is when I was working with Connection By Boeing in Seattle. Worked like a charm.

And yes, since I now live in Seattle, I have heard of some others doing native although haven't validated.

Being that there's issues that leave us unable to get native connectivity, we have a BGP tunnel thanks to HE (with a 20ms latency from Seattle to Freemont).

You should be able to get native IPv6 in Seattle from a variety of providers. If you're not finding it, you're not really looking (IMHO).

I'd 2nd that....

Tunnels suck if not done correctly. We sometimes have faster and more reliable connections through IPv6, so ymmv.

The tunneled part of the "IPv6" internet fell to the wayside a long time ago, there are stragglers and I have even seen people try to peer over tunnels in 2010, but anyone still adding that level of overlay (v6-over-v4) may find themselves in a world of hurt soon enough.

- Jared (Curious about what incumbent carrier plans are for end- user - eg qwest, att, vz resi)