nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGP and convergence time

From: Joel Jaeggli <joelja () bogus com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 21:34:05 -0700

On 05/12/2010 02:41 PM, Scott Weeks wrote:

--- danny () tcb net wrote: From: Danny McPherson <danny () tcb net> On May
12, 2010, at 9:40 AM, Jay Nakamura wrote:

I just tested this and, yes, with Cisco to Cisco, changing the
setting won't reset the connection but you have to reset the
connection to have the value take effect.  I need to look up what
happens when two sides are set to different values and which one
takes precedent.

: The holdtime isn't technically negotiated, both sides convey their
 : value in the open message and the lower of the two is used by both
 : BGP speakers.

This isn't a negotiation?

: IIRC, neither J or C reset the session with the timer change, but
the : new holdtimer expiry value doesn't take effect until then.

We use Alcatel 7750s.  Damn thing just resets the session; no
warning, no nothing. :-(

: One other thing to note is that by default, keepalive intervals in
 : those implementations are {holdtime/3}.  Normally, if you're
setting : holdtime to something really lower (e.g., 10 seconds) you
might want : to increase the frequency of keepalives such that the
probability of : getting one through in times of instability rise.
In particular, : congestion incurred outside of BGP, as update
messages themselves : will serve as implicit keepalives, and with the
amount of churn in BGP, : empty updates (keepalives) are rare for
most speakers with a global BGP : view.

I have been looking for info on the negative impact on a router by
increasing the keepalive frequency to a high rate.  I'm sure it's
minimal for a few BGP peers, but I could imagine with a lot of peers
it's a non-zero impact.

with a keep alive interval of 10 seconds you can expect to get 10pps
from a 100 peers. the keepalive message is 19bytes

That doesn't seem particularly hurtful even by the standards of 5 year
old control plane processors.

scott