nanog mailing list archives

Re: Mikrotik BGP Question

From: Choprboy <choprboy () dakotacom net>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 14:46:27 -0700

On Friday 21 May 2010 05:16, Lorell Hathcock wrote:
I am inheriting a WISP network with Mikrotik equipment throughout.  One of
my first duties is to make the network multihomed.  We have our first
internet connection at one location and our second internet connection will
be delivered at a second location in a week or so.
[snip]
My question is about BGP on the Mikrotik platform.  The guy who I am
supplanting swears that we are supposed to be bringing the second internet
link to the same place as the first internet link for BGP to work properly.
Obviously that is not true with major brand routers

And it is not true with Mikrotik either... I work for a WISP that uses
Mikrotik almost exclusively, everything from our core to customer CPEs. We
have multiple Mikrotik edge routers at diverse locations, with 200+Mbs
internet connections thru different providers, all running full BGP feeds,
and all sharing those feeds between each other. A simple 1U box with a good
MB, 1-2GB RAM, flash drive for booting, and good multi-port Gb ethernet cards
for each is all that is needed.

We are a small ISP by most standards, but we have had no problem running
180Mbs and 40,000pps in/out on just one of our edges, while carrying on with
multiple BGP feeds and exchange between our internal routers.

Adrian